- The Screening Tool
- New Users
- Existing Users
Friendly Schools Plus recognises schools are implementing many positive whole-school actions to improve students’ social and emotional development and to reduce bullying behaviours. However, school leadership teams often need help mapping strategies currently being implemented against a quality evidence-based framework to determine gaps and possible overlaps. Friendly Schools Plus has developed a unique online Screening Tool to help schools determine what whole-school actions they are currently undertaking, and in what areas they need to take further or different action to achieve more positive student outcomes.
The screening tool and planning tool provide a systematic way for schools to assess and evaluate current whole-school policy and practice and identify the mosti important evidence-based actions each school can take to improve the social and emotional health of its students.
This online screening tool provides schools with a snapshot of their current activities to build positive social skills and reduce bullying and other forms of aggression among students. It will also helps schools to map the gaps and identify strengths in their current policy and practices. Together these whole-school indicators provide a systematic overview of the most important evidence-based actions a school can take to improve the social and emotional health of its students.
All schools staff are encouraged to rate the level of activity in their school over the last 12 months for each of the six evidence-based practice areas using a rating scale of no activity; low activity; moderate activity or high activity. This information is then collated into one school report that can be used to guide planning and monitor progress over time.
Who should complete Map-the-Gap Screen Tool?
The Screening Tool is most accurate when a number of staff are given the opportunity to contribute. Staff in leadership and pastoral care roles as well as key teaching staff would provide important insight into the school’s activity levels. Larger schools with primary, middle and senior year groups may want to consider asking a range of staff across these areas.
Screenshot of the Map-the-Gap Screening Tool
Screenshot of the Map-the-Gap Screening Result
Screenshot of the Map-the-Gap Screening Report
Terms and Conditions
- Map-the-Gap is valid for one (1) year from the date login details are received
- Email Address is required to set up login details for schools
- Schools will receive login details via email within 48 hours of orders being processed
New users - Subscribe
Once you have purchased access to Map-the-Gap and have received your registration code, follow the steps below.
Enter your email address and confirm by typing in again.
Enter your registration code you have been given exactly (case sensitive). This is your FULL school name. E.g. Blackburn Senior High School or Blackburn Primary School.
Enter your screen name (optional). If you leave this blank it will be your email address.
Set your password (at least 5 characters) and confirm by typing in again.
Select the teacher group that best describes your position from the drop down menu.
Read and agree/disagree to the terms and conditions of using the Screening Tool.
Click on the green "Sign up" button.
Please note these steps will need to be followed by every member of your organisation.
Existing users - Log in
Enter your email address.
Enter your password. If you have forgotten your password, click on "forgot password" and your password will be sent to your email address.
Click on the green "Login" button.
Screening Tool Instructions
The Friendly Schools Plus Screening Tool provides schools with a snapshot of their strengths and 'maps-the-gap' in their current whole-school practice relating to the promotion of social skills and the prevention and management of bullying behaviours. This tool is designed to be used at Step 2 and Step 7 of the Friendly Schools Plus Whole-School Process.
Screening Tool Dashboard
Once logged in, you will see the dashboard below. Click on the grey "Screening Tool" tab on the top left hand side.click to enlarge
Create a new screening
- To create a new screening click on green "create screening" button.
- The screening tool features 6 whole-school action areas that are listed in tabs across the top of the screening tool. All school staff are encouraged to rate the level of activity in their school over the last 12 months for each of these 6 areas.
- Click on each tab and complete by rating each activity as either: no activity; low activity; moderate activity or high activity for your school (click on the appropriate button). You will not be able to move onto the next whole-school action area until all listed activities are rated.
- The current tab you are working on is highlighted in orange.
- Click on the green "submit" button after each whole-school action area is completed. You can then either "see results" or "edit/continue screening" to complete the remaining areas. A green tick appears at the top of tab to show that you have completed this area.
- If you are unclear about what the activity statement means you can click on the "example" button underneath the statement and an example will be given.
- Once you have completed all 6 areas, click on "My Results" to see your results graph and table.
- click to enlarge
- Information from all staff in your school is collated into one school report that is visible by clicking on "My School Average" and "My School Report" to see graphs and tables that can be printed or saved and used to guide planning and monitor progress over time.
- click to enlarge
- You can create a new screening every year that is saved under a yearly folder e.g. Screening 2011, Screening 2012.
- From the dashboard, you can edit, delete or view your screenings for the current year by clicking on the "more links" button on the left hand side of your current screening graph and clicking on the appropriate choice (i.e. "School Average", "School Report", "Edit" or "Delete")
- Warning, the "Delete" button will permanently delete your screening from contributing to your school's results and report.
- You cannot edit or delete screenings from previous years but can view your school average and report by clicking on the "more links" option on past screenings and click on either "School Average" or "School Report".
Printing and saving your school reports
- For each results page ("My Results", "School Average" or "School Report") there is an option to print or save results as a PDF, JPEG, PNG or SVG Image to enable you to save and share your school results by email.
- If you wish to know some of the evidence that supports each of the whole-school action areas then click on the "Evidence4Practice" button on the top left hand side.
- A frequently asked question button "FAQ" is also featured on the top left hand side if you would like to know more.
- You can view your details or change your password by clicking on the "Profile" button.
- If you would like to contact us, please click on "Contact us" button where you can email us directly from the Child Health Promotion Research Centre website with any further questions.
- To sign out, click on the "Sign out" button on the top left had side of the screening tool.
- You will be directed to a feedback form where you can provide your comments on the Screening Tool if you wish.